*Big days are ahead at the house. Our friend Garry arrives from Los Angeles on Thursday to tackle more of the old window restoration. He will start in the Library and the Study, and we hope to see him on the second floor by the middle of next week. Phillip and I will be on holiday from our regular work beginning Saturday the tenth, and we will be working full time at the house for nine straight days. Now, this is a good thing, and boy do we need it.
My Mother was here last weekend to create the leaded panels to surround the front door. We cleared the living room and set up a great big table to work on. Restoration glass and zinc were the the name of the game. Restoration glass is hand blown glass which resembles antique glass and has a charming, olde world look to it. The zinc came and surround I ordered from a stained glass company back east and was perfect to work with, strong, sturdy, and easy to manage in a six foot tall window.
I received a call last night from my Mom who was infuriated by the photograph of her that had been used here for this posting. She said it did not look like her and all it showed was gray hair, spots, and wrinkles. So I have agreed to remove it from the blog and replace it with another. I looked and looked through the photos that were taken and could not find another that she would approve of, so rather than go without, I have doctored the photograph, let's say I have given her a disguise. So please enjoy my Mom's new look. If you would like to see the original I can send it to you, but we must be very hush, hush about it lest "she" find out.
Geraldine Goff, with her new look for spring. You can find her down at the bowling alley, sippin beer with Dame Edna and Rue Paul
Carefully planned and drawn to within a 1/32nd of an inch, I had ordered the glass precut and ready to go. Tin snips, a hack saw, and a screw driver were all that remained. We quickly cut the zinc came that fit between the panels of glass, followed by the zinc surround, relying on the cut glass to give us our dimensions. In two hours we had all three panels laid out and held together with nails driven into the table. A few hours of soldering the next day and the mixing of a secret recipe grout were all that remained.
By Monday evening the panels were finished drying and ready for installation. Some said it could not be done, and would not hold together, they will sag, or perhaps break when the front door was opened and closed, but I have to say this was one of the most satisfying things we have done. Within a matter of two days we had created beautiful windows that fit perfectly into place and look tremendous. Its also wonderful to actually see something that is a finish detail rather than a rough in or a tear apart job.
All that remains is the new front door, or should I say the old front door. The door is a four panel double tombstone that is with our cabinet maker for restoration. it was found in the cellar of the house next door and it is possible that it is the original front door to the house. It will go the full height of the opening, unlike the current, more contemporary door that had been filled in above it to accommodate its shortness.
Friday begins the mad dash. The bricks will be laid over and around the concrete base just outside the front door, and the floors are coming. The wide plank black walnut floors are arriving next Monday. They are not coming ahead of schedule, we are simply behind schedule. Our intention was to be signed off on our mechanicals, and have insulation and sheer wall complete before the floors made the trek across the country to grace our rooms. Well... plan B! The old floors have been screwed down for strength, we will sand them smooth and flat and fill any low spots this weekend, Monday we will begin the installation of the new floors and we will have to leave a space for the sheer wall to fit into. I suppose it could be worse, and I think I better start looking for something to cover the new floors with until we are ready for finishing.